Friday, 24 June 2011

ripe mango in durian city




In honor of a new chapter in my life, I am starting this brand new blog. Sweet Life in Singapore, is all about me and my family's adventures in this country, we have chosen to adopt as our second home.

Just a little backgrounder. My hubby is employed here since last year. We would have moved-in sooner, but I held-back for a year. To quote Bb. Pilipinas Universe Venus Raj, I saw it as a "major, major" leap in my life.

I had a good thing going in the Philippines. A nice job in Manila, a good home, our eldest is in-school, I have wonderful support group, my house helps, relatives and friends. In short, Manila is my comfort zone, why would i leap into something uncertain?

In a way, it was a good thing that I held back. In the months that my husband was away, I learned some new things. I was forced to drive the car on my own. Like a dutiful OFW wife, I was on-top of managing the house, even the "manly" jobs. I supervise the plumbing repairs, expanded our steel gate, had cabinets made in the garage... all of these.. on-top of all the daily tasks that I do as a Mom.

Career-wise, I enjoyed my job, and in that year, I travelled to Australia and South Korea. I also hosted several major events at the Ayala Museum and in Cebu for product launches. I even managed to help organize a school reunion. I cultivated and deepened great friendships. I had fun parties at home. My hubby usually learn about it in Facebook, the days after.

So, you might ask me? What's the tipping point? What made me decide to finally say "yes" to a life here?

If you are like my friend Jolie, I can very well quote you a biblical reason:

Ephesians 5:22-24
Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.

But, you know me better, right? I am your only friend who took Feminist Literary Theories in college for sheer pleasure.

This girl does not merely "submit" in blind obedience. It is a decision based on thoughtful introspection, contemplating the pros and cons, for herself and for the family.

And so, I enumerate :

New adventures for the family. Learning opportunities for my kids, to be exposed to a different culture.

A chance for me to take Motherhood by the horns. Admittedly, in Manila. My time is always compromised between work and my kids. This time, i hope to tip the scale in their favor. They are growing up so fast. I want to be able to hug, discipline, and enjoy them before they become stormy adolescents.

Time for myself, as well. I intend to learn new things, too. As my friend Michelle would say, "You will have more time to do the things, you have always wanted to do."

For my husband's sanity. He's working so hard. For what? virtual interactions with kids thru YM & Skype? an occasional visit while my daughter fights stranger anxiety each time? Expensive toys to make-up for absence? He is their Dad. He deserves them, dirty diapers, tantrums and all.

And so, once we decide, there's usually no-turning back. We just have to make the most out of every opportunity that come our way.

Here's to HAPPINESS ..... wherever we are!



xoxo,
ripemango

8 comments:

  1. Good luck my friend and enjoy mommyhood as well as being a housewife. You'll do great being both I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow. a new blog to follow. new beginning from super career girl to power mom! goodluck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. o as the saying goes...Follow where your heart is, you can never fail. i'm sure by 3-6 months. you can litigate in a singaporean language. =)
    changes are good. remember the book, "when everything changes, change everything..." kaya mo 'yan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks Melody! I need all the luck in the world, my friend! Keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi teena, your words always encourages me. :) thanks for always being there as part of my "virtual" support group. see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. would be exciting to visit you...hope my hectic sked permits. pipilitin! =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My dear,wherever your decisions bring you,a new way of doing things,a new environment am confident that you can always blend.am proud of your decision to give up your career for your family,that's tough,huh!don't you know that i gave up a scholarship grant there because of my family too?so what makes you truly happy,go for it.after all,isn't it what everyone aspires?godbless your family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks madam esber!

    Life is full of opportunities. we just need discernment which ones will bring happiness, not just oneself, but for others, especially our family, as well.

    sad for your missed scholarship. take heart! may dadating na bagong blessings, in other ways. trust God.

    love, dews

    ReplyDelete