Monday, 22 August 2011

a hairy tale


Warning:
This entry is trivial. It's all about my hair....locks... mane...crowning glory. If you're looking for intelligent and earth-shattering discussions. Go to CNN.com.
Oh, you're still here? Good. Great minds think alike. :) Read on...
Once upon a time, you caught yourself constantly wearing pig tails, pony tails. It's a sign. No. The weather's not too hot. Outside of work-requirements to tie your hair (nurses, foods techs, stewardesses) We are actually in a hair-dilemma. The easiest way to resolve is, to bunch them up in scoongie. (But it makes our double chin stand-out.) Yep. We are hiding something.

Pic #1 Looking so classic, serene in my pearl earrings and pony.... elegant? Might fool you, Underneath... Pic#2 It's a classic mess. Bangs growing too long, hurting my eyes. Colors fading, my greys showing. What styles? what layers? duh..

I've been putting-off going to the salon here in Singapore. It's so darn expensive. I still have this issue on converting everything to peso. And then, holding back, Oh, I can get those cheaper in the Philippines!

To those residing abroad.... Don't you sometimes miss your stylist.. more than you miss your distant relatives? :)

My friend & favorite Stylist is Leo Magallanes. He cuts and colors my hair for several years now. Even if I live in Pasig, an hour away, I still troop to his parlor in Mendiola. I didn't care even if he can only squeezed me in on a 7am schedule. :) He was the last person I visited, before I left for Singapore. You want proof how good he is, just browse through my old pictures in FB :)
Calling Leo.... punta ka dito.. mag parlor parlor tayo!

Two weeks ago, I tried to DIY color my hair...well, more like, forced my helper to do it. I bought Revlon Light Brown (15 SGD / 525 pesos) and with the results, I swear, I'll never do it again. My grey hair were not completely covered, and there were plotches of the old & new colors. Thus, the pony tail.

I don't blame her. Hair coloring is not her competency. In between cleaning house, and feeding my kids, my hair is the least of her concerns.

So there I was. Lost in Style. My friend Odick, the embodiment of Metrosexual in whatever race he is mistaken to be. (sometimes Korean, Singaporean) suggested I go to Jean Yip. She's like the Ricky Reyes here in SG, in terms of the predominance of her salons in the malls.


I guess, I came in too early, I was the only client at 11am. Nice!
So, here are my impressions!

The wash area, looking like Boudoir.
Clean & Stylish interiors.
Loving the chandeliers here at the styling area.


The stylist assigned to me was Reese Wong. She was clearly taken aback to have a client that early, as she comes from washing her own hair. She look like she would be more at home in an MBA class than a parlor. She studied my hair diligently and made her recommendations, which will of course, will cost my husband's whole month salary. :)

Yep, my scalp is too oily, but the roots are too dry. I need a base color, highlights, deep treatment, and trim. My top priorities are highlights and trim, and the only costs, my budget-conscious conscience can approve. I like Reese, she understands and didn't push.


When Reese, saw me snapping my camera, she took off the towel on her hair, and voila! She looks, fabulous as any self-respecting Stylist should be! While she washed my hair, she whispered. It's Ok lah. I'll give you scalp treatment. Shhh...


When she started snipping my hair. I was apprehensive. Oh, Lord. My first Singaporean cut. Will I look like Chinese? But I'm not one to dwell on negativity. Whatever the results... they will all grow back. They're just hair. Play with it!
So, What do you think? Collateral Damage was 118 SGD or 4,130 Pesos.

My husband's verdict? Next time, we let's cross-country to JB Malaysia, to get your hair fixes, ok? I heard they're cheaper.

xoxo,
ripemango

2 comments:

  1. wow, new hair color and style. cxarry moi naman dear kahit ano'ng hairdo. "nasa nagdadala 'yun" sabi nga. but think of my horrible so curly hair, yaiks. kainis. but i guess i made my promise broken when i went back home. i really cut it out and colored it! ("uy bumata ka..." sabi sa akin..) kasi na covered ang grey hairs, hahaha.

    anyway, i never go to italian parlors here, super mahal. ayoko nang i compute, kalokah lang hahaha.in fairness, the parlor looks so cozy ha...'wag mo na isipin yung 4K pesos conversion. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi butterfly,

    i was about to comment on your hair last night.
    i saw you had it colored into a redder shade. mahogany, is it?
    i love it. true, you look younger!
    as to curly hairs, i can't give you advise about it, since i haven't been born with it... just planning to have one. funny how people with curly hair detests it, while us who have straight hair, long for curls. :))) walang satisfaction. I have wavy hair, and i just learn to live with it, and not battle against it.
    I bet it's also expensive there. anywhere in abroad for that matter!! it's the services/ labor that's expensive, and not the materials they use. Kung pwede lang mag-aral at maggupit ng sarili :)))

    regards, ripemango

    ReplyDelete