Sunday, 15 April 2012

Ooh La la, Orchids !

If you love Orchids, you will go crazy on this entry.  This is all about Orchids, Orchids, Orchids!

I love flowers but I am not a green thumb.  My only experience is growing those backyard Kutsarita plants for my Home Economics class in Aroroy, Masbate.  Even the tiny decorative plants I got from Ikea, died a natural death, I simply don't know how to care for them.

But I digress....  Orchids!

One Thursday afternoon, my friend dzo and I breezed through the Botanic Gardens, a lush sanctuary situated within the heart of the city.  Nestled within the expanse of the park lies Singapore's National Orchid Garden ~ the Largest Display of Tropical Orchids in the World.



Entrance to the Botanic Gardens is Free, but you need to shell-out 5SGD to get into the Orchid garden.  It's worth it.  This is my 2nd time to the Botanic Garden but my 1st inside the Orchid Garden.  I didn't go the first time, because I was with my little boys who just might pull-out those lovely blooms.


Singapore takes Orchidology (if there's such a thing) very seriously.  If  you ever set foot at Changi Airport,  you will immediately be refreshed by the blooms of  Vanda Miss Joaquim, Singapore's National Flower.  
It's no ordinary orchid that was designated as such.  The exquite orchid is a hybrid, between the Burmese Vanda teres and the Malayan Vanda hookeriana; a certain local horticulturist Ms. Agnes Joaquim propagated it in her garden in 1893.
It's now widely used in Singapore as part of an overall effort to foster national pride and identity.  You can find it all over ~ in jewelry, coasters, brooches, paperweights, hairclips, photo frames, scarfs, shirts.  At the airport, they even sell fresh Vanda to bring home to your sweethearts.



When I was a kid, my maternal grandmother used to grow orchids in her weekend home in Quezon City.  I remember saving eggshells during the weekdays, and she will bring them to her hanging plants to drip the remaining egg whites.   I only recall seeing two different orchid species, white and purple; and I would ooh, and ahh whenever there's a new bud.

Now,  I am amazed at these wonderful varieties.  They look absolutely smashing. 









When my hub was still courting me,  eyebrows raised at the Magandang Gabi ... Bayan office at ABS-CBN when he sent-in a bouquet of white orchids, instead the usual red roses.  For the uninitiated, they smirk and say, "San Burol?"  Hahahaha.

But for those with discriminating tastes, we know that, Orchids are more expensive and classy than a bunch of common-place red roses.  Besides, they are more memorable!  See?  I can still remember them now...  more than all the rose bouquets sent-over many anniversaries thereafter.


White Orchids similar to the 1st Bouquet given by my then suitor, now husband :)

Inside this enchanting oasis, there are different sections.  The VIP Orchid Garden which houses orchid hybrids after visiting Head of States, dignitaries or  VIPs.   You know you are important visitor if Singapore names an Orchid after you!  Thus,  they have a Nelson Mandela, Margaret Thatcher, a Jean Cretein, a Princess Masako....
 
a unique hybrid presented to & named after the then-Prime Minister of England, Margaret Thatcher

a blossom cultured for the Emir of Kuwait, HRH Sheik Sabah Al-Ahmad

Rare green & purple orchid named after the visiting Prime Minister of Canda,
Jean Cretien
When new hybrids are created, the National Garden invites celebrities.  To commemorate their visit, the new hybrids are named after them.  Thus, we see a Jackie Chan orchid and world renowed tenor, Andrea Bocelli orchids.    (I love this concept!  No need to remember stuffy, Scientific Names for my botany class!)  




 Do you know that Wild Orchids compared to Cultured ones, often have delicate and intricate blooms? I don't really understand the difference till I saw the ones in the Orchidariums (wild orchids) compared to those displayed all over the place (cultured).  


I missed taking photos of other orchids in the Mist Houses, in there, the orchids are kept in garden simulated to a tropical rainforest.  There's a continuous mist, I didn't want to wet my camera.   :)


We chanced upon schoolchildren on a field trip. Aren't their uniforms cute?



The National Orchid Garden claims to have over 1,000 species and 2,000 hybrid in its collection.  Can you imagine handcrafting something alive and beautiful?  I can write a literary prose, someone can bake a cake,  cook-up  a gourmet dish, but Horticulturists.... are a different breed altogether.




Definitely as must-visit for those who love flowers ~ whether growing it or like me, just content to stare and smell the beautiful blooms.

Ending this entry with my self-made quote ~

Springtime or Not ~~~ Always be in Bloom!


'til next adventure,
ripemango
























8 comments:

  1. Hello there! My name is Malte Zeeck, and I am with InterNations.org. I really enjoyed reading your fantastic blog! I think expats in Singapore and around the world could really gain some great insights from this page. The quality of the blog in general is very convincing, which is why I would love to feature you and your writing on the Recommended Blog on Singapore section on InterNations.org
    Not only do we feature and link to your blog prominently; we also would like to hear from you directly in our questionnaire! We have also designed a link badge for your blog.
    If you are interested, please feel free to contact me via email: maltezeeck@internations.org

    Best,
    Malte Zeeck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post. Wonderful fotos! Grabe, ang gaganda ng orchids. Well, i can't grow flowers too. My friend from Holland visited me last January and brought various tulips...dead! =( kahit siguro gumamela i won't grow a perfect one.i can't have a green house in my own house for sure.
    So cute the kids' uniforms..parang me dance program lagi =)
    in fairness ha, me fan ka Ripemango sa taas. proud of you.
    Always be in bloom! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI,

    I recently contacted you regarding a collaboration possibility with InterNations.

    We would feature your blog at InterNations and award your blog with a top expat blog badge.

    Let me know if you are interested at: maltezeeck@internations.org

    Thanks,
    Malte

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the opportunity, Malte. I emailed you privately.

      Delete
  4. love your post .how i wish i can grow vanda here in northern ireland thu meron na rin akong mga orchids in pots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks salome! good luck in your gardening!

      Delete
  5. Dear Sir/Madam,

    On behalf of the National Library Board (NLB), we would like to invite you to pledge your blog to the Singapore Memory Project as part of efforts to collect memories that are already manifested in existing online channels.

    The Singapore Memory Project (SMP) is a national initiative to collect, preserve and provide access to Singapore’s knowledge materials. Spearheaded by NLB, the SMP aims to build a national collection of content in diverse formats (including print, audio and video), to preserve them in digital form, and make them available for discovery and research.

    By pledging your blog to SMP, you are affirming that every memory matters. Whether your posts are an account of your daily life, or an expression of your thoughts, the SMP hopes to find a home for your memories so that it can help build towards an understanding of Singapore. You will also receive a badge that you can display on your blog in recognition of your contributions.

    Contributors to this blog pledging initiative will be listed on Singapore Memory portal’s blog pledging webpage. All blogs pledged to SMP will archived using NLB’s web harvesting software, in addition to images of each blog’s landing page.

    If you are keen to pledge your blog to SMP, simply fill up our response form at this following URL: http://singaporememory.simulation.com.sg/Public/Pledge.

    You may find out more about this initiative at http://www.iremember.sg/?page_id=2822.

    We are looking forward to your contribution.

    Simulation Software & Technology (S2T) Pte Ltd
    583 Orchard Road #14-02 Forum The Shopping Mall S(238884), Singapore
    |w: www.simulation.com.sg

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are various online sources to provide you informative details on this topic, but this is one is very helpful!
    Orchid Decorative Ornament

    ReplyDelete