Wednesday, 2 May 2012

Hawkers @ Resorts World Sentosa? Yep!

Whenever I'm at Resorts World Sentosa with visiting relatives or friends ~ I often had to crack my brains where to take them for lunch or dinner.  Let's face it.  The restaurant choices at Resorts World are not only gastronomical but astronomical in their prices (with their Michelin Star Chefs and snooty ambience). 

So, what I normally do, before we even cross Sentosa island via the express train;  I invite them to eat at Vivo City mall.  There's are two food courts at Vivo City mall.  A generic one,  immediately after the MRT exit, and a nicer one, Food Republic on the upper levels.  Both are reasonably-priced.

Here's the good news ~  A week ago, I went to  Resorts World. with my mom, and  I chanced upon the newly-opened Malaysian Food Street, a hawker type establishment,  exactly beside the entrance of Universal Studios!


For those unfamiliar with day-to-day survival in Singapore.   Very few families in Singapore cook their meals. The local population usually eat at Hawker centers (small eateries, featuring local and traditional Chinese, Indian and Malay cooking).  They're clean, cheap and no-nonsense fare.  Most dishes  are cooked as soon as you order.    A chicken-rice set,  (which is joked as the national food of Singapore) costs about 4 SGD. 


The ambience of the place is Malaysia circa 1950s at night.   They famous Penang Hokkien Prawn Mee,  Klang Bah Kuh Teh, Nasi Lemak and many other daily favorites sold in stalls with renowed hawker's names of long ago.


I ordered this prawn noodle soup, but I could not finish because it was so spicy! :))  Be careful ordering here in Singapore.  There are plenty of dishes that are automatically spicy, you have to instruct them otherwise.


Thanks goodness for this Malaysian Food Street, now I have some place to bring my guests ~ they can enjoy the local fare, in a classy environment at Resorts World, and without burning a hole in my pocket :)


'til next adventure!



xoxo,
ripemango






 

No comments:

Post a Comment