It's been a year since I moved my little family from Manila to Singapore. From the time I graduated from college, I've been a working girl, 8-5 (sometimes even more). It was a big change for me to suddenly be thrust into the daily grind of preparing meals, doing the laundry, fixing the kids for school and waiting for my husband to come home after work.
My friends and former colleagues, each time they would call or chat with me, would ask, "How are you? What's keeping you busy? Aren't you bored?" In the first few months being here, of course, I was extremely busy settling-in the whole family. But after about 2 months, everything was going-on smoothly, kids in school, and my helper capable enough, I found more and more time in my hands that I needed to kill.
(this is, of course, on top of my responsibilities as a mother of 3)
1. I do Facebook - it connects me to all my friends around the world. I got so adept at Facebook, that just recently, I was hired "to admin" two facebook company accounts :)) Talk about getting paid for doing something you love.
2. I Read - my favorite pastime of all time. There's a library, one-train stop from where we live, and I'm holding two library cards that are perpetually full. I read my favorite authors and try other genre for variety.
3. I Learn new recipes to cook / bake - I never had the time for this before, but it's always something that I want to learn, not be a master per se. I don't aim to be a chef. I just want to learn so I can feed my friends & family something new, and to say, Yes, I can cook and I can bake! Youtube is my best friend for this.
4. I Swim - I used to be scared of the deep part of the pool. Now, I can even do laps! :)
5. I Go to the Gym - my favorite punishment is watching Victoria Secret Fashion show while running incessantly
6. I Steam bath / Sauna - with olive oil on my hair, and body scrub all over... pampering myself. My only wish is for a massause! Unfortunately, they don't come cheap here.
7. I Meet Friends for lunch / coffee - I'm not the type to join associations or organizations but I make sure I stay in touch with my old friends who are also based here. We eat, talk, shop and eat some more. One or two friends is ok for me. I cannot fulfill the demands if I become an officer or even a member of organizations. I've been invited several times, but I declined. My focus now are the kids, not some association's mission and vision. If I do that, I might as well work and get paid for it.
8. I Window Shop - there are great shops here in Sg but eventually, it gets tiring and boring. Same old, same old. Besides, I cannot be spending a lot since my hub's the only one working.
9. I watch TV - I don't dig soap operas but I'm more into NCIS, Bones, Law and Order, CSI. Basically, the same genre of my favorite books. I'm not even into series, since I haven't learned how to download them yet :) not unless a friend burns for me.
10. I write - I maintain personal journals and blogs. Before I moved here, a Filipino company has already hired me to do writing jobs for them. I churned out about 3 articles a month, most of the times not under my name. I speech write for other people, as well ;) You might say, I'm a ghost when it comes to writing :)
11. I plan vacations - whether it's just a weekend getaway, or month-long trip back to manila, and I can be a bit OC about this.
12. I stay in touch with news - whether it's from home or the local news here. I try to keep myself up to date.
13. I try to learn a new thing or two - lately, stock market trading interests me. I used to think it's boring but if you pop-in a small amount or two, it can be more action-packed than Die Hard. I try to learn a lot about this country. I read about it's history, and the current events that shapes it.
14. I volounter to take visiting friends around - I always welcome tourist friends or colleagues coming over. It reconnects me to my old life, especially when I hear stories about work.
15. I simply just enjoy the best companion in the world ~ ME.
They say you will never really feel bored, if you like the person you are always with... Yourself !
'til next adventure!